Plate 5 C1890 Farm buildings near the Church occupy the site where Albion Cottage and Church Cottage now stand.
Plate 6 C1890 The flint cottages on the corner were demolished after the 2nd World War and replaced with a garage. There are now three modern dwellings on the site.
PHOTO 7 C1890 The Street. The cottage on the left was burnt down and replaced by the Pightle in the days of the 20th Century (Architect??). The thatched roofs of the next two cottages – now Farthings – were also destroyed.
PHOTO 8 C1890 The lane to the beach from Cliff Top House – once the boarding house of the Hill House Hotel – where both Charles Dickens and Conan Doyle stayed and wrote novels – is now part of the caravan site.
PHOTO 9 C1890 Whimpwell Street. Lighthouse Farm – now Pebbles Pub & Restaurant – looks little changed, but the pond was much larger. The Farm in the distance was replaced long ago with two cottages: some of the farm buildings have been converted into dwellings.
PHOTO 11 Cottages near the Church were burnt down during a violent thunderstorm in 1929. The lower walls have been incorporated into Manor Bungalow.
PHOTO 12 These two thatched houses were once a row of six cottages. The Monastery – the house on the right – is so called because it is thought that monks from Wymondham may have used it when collecting tithes from their properties in the village. The oldest part of the building is medieval. The adjoining house is Thrums.
PHOTO 13 Drawing water from the well at Thrums.
PHOTO 16 The Beeches – now Thatch Dyke – in Whimpwell Green
PHOTO 17 The Post Mill at Mill Farm replaced an earlier one destroyed during the great storm in 1770. It was replaced three years later, but dismantled in 1921. Mr Arthur Bates was the last miller. Hasbro’ Mill was unique in having two fantails instead of one. Their function was to revolve the whole body of the mill into the wind.
PHOTO 20 Travelling salesmen and gipsies sold their goods in the village by pony and cart. The wooden shed adjoining Camberley Cottage was a butcher’s shop for many years.
PHOTO 21 Church Farm was rented by the Old Stortfordians for use as a holiday home for many years until 1982. Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth and Ben Nicholson stayed here in 1930 and 1931. They carved and polished ironstone pebbles picked up on the beach.
PHOTO 22 The pump at Pump Hill was removed years ago. Previously there was a well, said to be haunted by the ghost of a sailor, but a story no doubt invented by smugglers to keep folk in their homes at night. Hill Farmhouse is another of the old farmsteads.
PHOTO 23 Manor Farm is one of the oldest houses in the village. The gable near the road bears the date 1588.
PHOTO 24 Holly Farm is another old building with a pattern of dark bricks on a gable wall. The house is now beautifully thatched and restored.
PHOTO 25 St. Mary’s (Happisburgh Manor), built in 1900: the first major work of the Arts & Crafts architect Detmar Blow. Built in the local venacular style using locally sourced materials – flint, pebble, brick, tiles and Norfolk reed thatch. – only the glass came from outside Norfolk.
PHOTO 26 Whimpwell Street looking north. The Forge is on the corner of Beach Lane, and St Mary’s, newly built, is on the extreme right.
PHOTO 27 View from the Church before development after WW2. In the foreground is Mrs Hannant’s shop – see close-up on the right.
PHOTO 28 Wayside stores and Post Office 1902. Esther Ducker, aged 4, stands in the doorway, and her brother Charles and Sister Helen are by the gate.
PHOTO 30 The Post office and general stores when Mr Cyril Easlea was Postmaster. It was demolished in the early 1960’s and the Post Office returned to Wayside Stores.
PHOTO 31 C1910 The Old Vicarage was built in 1860. The Rev’d James Slater and his family were the first inhabitants. The new Vicarage – now the Rectory – was built in 1978.