Happisburgh, pronounced Haisbro, and spelt Hapesburg in the Domesday Book, means ‘Haep’s Town’. At the time of the Norman Conquest it had passed into the hands of Edric the Dane, who appears on the right side of the sign. After his expulsion it passed eventually to Roger Bigod, whose daughter Maud – on the left – married William d’Albini, who was given the village as Maud’s wedding portion.
In the centre is the Rev’d Thomas Lloyd who thought that the reason for so few children being baptised was because their parents could not afford to give a party afterwards. He therefore offered to provide entertainment himself, and on Whit Sunday 1793 baptised 170 people. Between the Church and the Lighthouse is a shield bearing wheat, a symbol of agriculture, and at the base is the old type of lifeboat.