Happisburgh Lighthouse is the oldest working light in East Anglia, and the only independently run lighthouse in Great Britain.
Built in 1790, orginally one of a pair – the tower is 85ft tall and the lantern is 134ft above sea level. The ‘low light’ which was discontinued in 1883 was 20ft lower and the pair formed leading lights marking safe passage around the southern end of the treacherous Haisborough Sands.
Today the lighthouse is painted white with three red bands, and has a light charcteristic of Fl (3) W 30s (3 white flashes, repeated every 30secs) with a range of 18 miles.
Saved as a working light by the local community, it is maintained and operated entirely by voluntary contributions.
- Read more about the history of Happisburgh Lighthouse
- Find out how the lighthouse was saved
- Technical details of the lighthouse
- Join the Friends of Happisburgh Lighthouse and help us to keep the light shining
- Find out about the open days and events programme
- View the webcam
- Listen to a piece about saving the lighthouse on Radio 4’s Women’s Hour
- Watch a piece featuring the Trust chairman, secretary and the lighthouse on BBC Breakfast
- Visit the Happisburgh Lighthouse Flickr Group
- Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, watch our channel on YouTube